Study in 2023
More for your future
Study can help you get more out of life. More opportunity and more flexibility for you and your whānau. It’s more possible than you think.
More options: a new qualification gives you adaptability to the changing job market.
More skills: hands-on learning means you gain the practical experience employers value.
More growth: more opportunity whether it means a promotion or beginning a new career.
More choice: whatever your goals, we have a qualification to get you there.
More confidence: once you’ve done the work, you have the skills. Go boldly into your future.
More for you & your whānau
A new qualification means new opportunities. Take a step to secure more for you and your whānau.
It’s more flexibleYou can study on campus, online, or on the job. With a variety of short courses, part-time, and full-time options available, study can fit around your lifestyle.
It’s more affordableDon’t let the cost of education put you off – explore the funding options that are available to you.
It’s more possibleWe’re with you every step of the way with a variety of student support services.
“Otago Polytechnic had the best graduate stats, post graduate stats, and employment stats. I was ecstatic when I was accepted. The resources there are amazing, and there’s a really good mix of theoretical and practical.”
Bachelor of Nursing Graduate
- Bachelor of Visual Arts - Study at our renowned Dunedin School of Art and explore your creativity in our eight unique studio disciplines - ceramics, electronic arts, jewellery and metalsmithing, print, photography, painting, sculpture and textiles.
- New Zealand Certificate in Business (Administration and Technology) (Level 4) - If you're new to administration, this programme will give you an advanced understanding of administration and management.
- New Zealand Diploma in Business (Level 5) - If you are an experienced Administrator, this course can support to prove your skills with our Assessment of Prior Learning Centre, Capable NZ.
- Bachelor of Applied Management - Gain a business degree based in real-world knowledge. As organisations are constantly changing, real-life learning is more relevant than ever.
- New Zealand Certificate in Education Support (Level 4) - This course gives you the skills to provide education support in class. Perfect if you are interested in education.
Begin your journey in the hospitality and culinary arts industry. These qualifications will open doors to exciting industries with a huge range of job opportunities in restaurants, bars, cafés, catering companies, vineyards, or hotels.
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 3) - Learn essential food preparation and cookery techniques and gain valuable commercial and kitchen experience in our training restaurant.
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 4) - Build your range of cooking skills so you can prepare, cook and present a variety of dishes. This also qualification also help you to develop your hospitality management skills.
- New Zealand Certificate in Food and Beverage Service (Level 3) (Café Services) (Bar Services) - Gain the essential skills and work experience needed for working in the bar and café sector of the hospitality industry.
- New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 4) - With hands-on teaching in our purpose-built gym and real industry work experience, you will gain the skills and knowledge to become a first-class exercise professional.
- New Zealand Certificate in Exercise (Level 5) - This programme will also take you through nutrition and behaviour, so you will become fully prepared to work with clients in a holistic manner.
- New Zealand Certificate in Hairdressing (Salon Support) (Level 3) - You’ll learn a wide range of techniques from experienced hairdressers and it’s equivalent to the first year of a hairdressing apprenticeship.
Grow your skills in horticulture in the student capital of New Zealand and one of the country’s best centres of learning.
- Certificate in Land Skills (Level 2) - A place to start if you want to work in farming, horticulture, agriculture, conservation or other outdoor-related areas.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (General) (Level 3) and New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (Amenity) (Level 3) - You'll learn about sustainable growing methods, permaculture, plant propagation, plant and soil science, and how to identify and grow healthy plants.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (General) (Level 3) - This 100% online course gives you a well-rounded education on the fundamentals of growing plants.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Services (Amenity) (Level 4) - Study full-time on campus or part-time alongside employment in the horticulture industry.
- New Zealand Certificate in Land Based Sustainability Practices (Level 3) - Learn to identify and apply sustainable practices associated with water, riparian margins, native plants, composting and conservation. Meet the growing demand for people will knowledge in sustainability.
- Te Whakamahi Whenua (Level 3) - Understand the steps needed towards protecting and enhancing our natural environment.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (Arboriculture) (Level 3) and New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Services (Arboriculture) (Level 4) - Learn the skills to carry out tree maintenance and management activities at heights including tree removal.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (Nursery Production) (Level 3) - Online with block courses at our Central Otago Campus.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (Nursery Production) (Level 3) and New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Production (Fruit Production) (Level 4) - You’ll gain the skills and knowledge that horticulturists need when employed in orchards, vineyards, nurseries or any other major commercial operation.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Production (Fruit Production) (Level 4) - This programme is for those already working in the fruit production or viticulture industry. You can pursue this course on the job!
- New Zealand Diploma in Horticulture Production (Fruit Production) or (Wine Growing) (Level 5) - Study online to complement your work in the industry and graduate with the skills to manage an orchard or vineyard. This part-time programme is run at night so you can learn while continuing to develop your skills, and online so you can get qualified from anywhere.
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Services (Sports Turf) (Level 4) - Study groundskeeping at our Central Otago Campus, then complete a paid, practical internship at one of New Zealand’s top golf or stadium venues.
- New Zealand Certificate in Information Technology Essentials (Level 4) - Begin here to develop the foundation skills in IT and gain practical experience in this industry.
- Bachelor of Information Technology - During this hands-on degree, you'll cover a broad general knowledge of IT and then focus on an area that interests you most. Through a series of projects, you'll gain industry-relevant techniques so you can hit the ground running.
- New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing - learn the practical knowledge and skills you need for a career in social support work.
- New Zealand Diploma in Youth Work (Level 6) - This qualification will prepare you for a career as a Youth Worker within Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Bachelor of Social Services (Specialty) - This degree will give you the necessary skills to be a capable and confident social services professional working in New Zealand. We offer three specialties - Career Practice, Counselling or Health and Wellbeing Practice.
Learn the basis of the trade and know your way around the tools needed to work as a professional in the industry. Our qualifications are designed to provide you with a head-start for a future apprenticeship. This is a great place to start if you want to gain confidence in your skills and abilities.
- New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (Level 3) - This course will give you the work-ready skills to enter the construction trades as an apprentice carpenter working under supervision.
- New Zealand Certificate in Electrical Pre-Trade (Level 3) - This course will give you the knowledge and basic practical skills you need to enter an electrician apprenticeship.
- New Zealand Certificate in Plumbing, Gasfitting and Drainlaying (Pre-apprenticeship) (Level 3) - This qualification will put you on the right path towards being a highly competent, and fully qualified plumber.